Wednesday, October 22, 2014

The importance of humor, described in the least humorous way

I was kind of disappointed that no one asked me about what was in that box I was carrying to the post-office this morning. I had planned to say it's a human head, which I'm mailing to my enemies to let them know not to mess with me. I hate it when I don't get to use my sarcastic banter! What's even worse is when I think of the perfect reply only after the opportunity to use it has gone out the window. So many times after a fight, I obsess not over the things I could've done differently but over the things I could've said differently. Mostly cause I've missed my opening to be severe... yet funny. The power to insult someone but also make them laugh at the same time is a gift really. The ability to make someone laugh in general is a gift. I once dated a guy for two weeks because I found him funny. My friend would quote Friends to me and say "if he's funny, laugh" . But a good sense of humor can be one of the most attractive of qualities in a person. Being able to laugh with your partner is a necessary ingredient in any good relationship. What's more, being able to laugh with yourself, to not take yourself so seriously all the time is extremely beneficial.
The thing about humor is that whether it's silly, caustic or sarcastic, it's just that, humor. People who get offended by jokes or pretend to get offended should seriously get over themselves. The joke itself can never be offensive, you make it offensive. I'm a girl and I think dirty, derogatory jokes are hilarious, in fact the dirtier the better. The limit of "that's what she/he said" punchlines I'll use with my friends is endless. Taking a subject that may be taboo in the real world and observing it, making it funny is an art-form. The English who have been accused of many things, snobbish behavior, odd cooking and bad dental hygiene actually gave the world a lot, football (go Chelsea!),rock music(well good music in general) and black humor, (also our food can be delicious, so shut up).  Ricky Gervais, Jimmy Carr(the king of inappropriate jokes), Jack Whitehall and Stephen Fry to name a few of my favorites, have all took the most popular, unpopular, provocative and some times unconventional subjects and made them into something often shocking and yet approachable. Comedy has always been a good way to communicate, criticize and press issues that may, in fact, otherwise be misunderstood. A good laugh can lighten any situation. Being funny doesn't always mean being a goof, but is actually a sign of intelligence. This also might ironically be the least funny post I've written, which in itself is sort of amusing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPhR7rv5s7U

No comments:

Post a Comment